Thursday, August 7, 2008

Olympic Spirit


I am in quite the Olympic Spirit this week as everyone should be since they start TOMORROW! There are these Olympic brochures lying around the OTC and I read one last night before I went to bed and was so excited I couldn't get to sleep. I can't believe that I am actually going to the Paralympics.

This week's practices have all been going well, especially today's. I was so happy about my times in practice both this morning and tonight that it stretches the imagination to imagine how fast I can and will go in Beijing. I have to admit that I am feeling a bit of 'medal pressure'. People keep telling me how awesome it will be when I medal and I think, well, what if I don't? It seems to be a common theme for people who wish me luck to mention a medal in there as well. I know a lot of times they don't know what else to say but it definitely registers in my mind every time. This is only my 7th post on here and I've think I've mentioned a few times already so it is obviously something that is on my mind a little. I try to take it in stride and take a few breaths and let the nervousness pass over me. I'm going to do my best, no doubt about that. And if a medal is meant to be, so it is meant to be. Only time will tell that one.

I had an interview with a Japanese news crew today. They are so interested in the story that they are planning on flying down to SC to interview my parents as well. Apparently, they are really going for the family angle which is fantastic since the support I've had from my parents has helped get me to this point.

I already packed my bags to go home next weekend. I guess you could say I'm a little excited to go home, even though it's another quick trip. As I did before, I am stuffing 2 bags to 50 pounds to bring back. Southwest still allows the 2 bags at no charge. I've started packing up my room so I at least have a start on it when I get back. It's weird to be thinking of being done and back here but it will come up quick as everything always seems to do.

Hopefully you'll all be as glued to the TV this weekend as I will be. After all, the Olympics are only every 4 years!

1 comment:

Ann&Bob said...

Go Melissa !!! I C D

Go USA!!!!!

You're in our hearts and cheering for you all the way across the ocean.
Soak up this dream of yours-- every bit - you have worked hard!

Ann and Bob Lynch