Friday, September 5, 2008

It all starts tonight

I am going to try and be quick here so I can get to napping before the opening ceremonies TONIGHT. Yes, tonight..it is finally here and I couldn't be more excited.

The past few days I have been feeling real heavy and real slow in the water and was getting a bit discouraged. My shoulders seemed a little too sore. However, today I felt much better and I know tomorrow will be even better so I am pumped about that. We got our heat assignments and in the 100 fly I am heat 3, lane 7, next to a teammate of mine and the infamous South African. I'm not supposed to be saying names here so you'll have to figure it out on your own. My goal is to do my best, obviously, and to make finals. To be top 8 and make finals I have lots of time to drop but I can do it. I know I can.

Tonight we leave for opening ceremonies at 6:30 which is much much later than we thought. Gives us time to eat, take a nap and relax before we go. I am so excited to walk into the stadium, I get goosebumps even thinking about it.

For all those back in the US, I will be on a segment with ABC news and Bob Woodruff either Sunday or Monday night. Keep a look out if you like. And a picture on the NY times website: http://olympics.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/05/the-starting-line-the-benefits-of-the-paralympics/?scp=1&sq=Melissa%20Stockwell&st=cse

I need to nap now so I can get some rest before we leave. Just being here is such an honor for me and everything I have dreamed of for these past 3 years starts tonight. I have so much pride walking around the village as part of the USA and I know the rest of my team and I will make our country proud as the competition gets under way. Thanks for all your support and GO USA!

2 comments:

Mantenimiento "GĂ©minis" said...

Hi, Melissa my name is Marcos P. Garcia I have a pretty kid who is in the same case like you (about the legt), she had a tumor in the left legt an Infection and surgery claimed a significant portion of her leg, leaving her with just a few inches of stump below her hip. She is 12 years old and I want to know if can you send a pride words to her.thanks.
my e-mail adress is marcosp_garcia@ hotmail.com.mx, marcospalacios.garcia@gmail.com.mx
so I want to create a foundation because she need a prosthesis and many kids too.

china said...

Hi Melissa.

Sam and Angela Myers from the Twin Cities Swim Team here.

We are in Beijing now. Tried to get tickets to your event today but it was all sold out. (There were ticket scalpers outside the Cube but, heh, the signs said scalping is illegal!)

But, I will try to get to see you in the 100 free tomorrow. (Angela has classes and swimming try-outs for the ISB team in the afternoon.)

Good luck and good swimming. We hope to see you before you return to the states. Coach Jim Andersen sends his regards.

Sam and Angela