Monday, September 1, 2008

Beijing Bound. Literally....

We are loading the bus to leave for the plane in about 2 hours. I can't believe the time has actually come and we are going to be in Beijing in the Olympic Village later today. We have had such a great time here that it's as if we've been on vacation. Going into Beijing with a relaxed mind set and already accustomed to the weather and time change is awesome. We couldn't have asked for a better pre- Beijing trip. Now it's on to bigger things...

Yesterday we had a farewell dinner and a big thank you to everyone that has helped us out this week. It was a good time and they had these Japanese style karate/ drummer people that were put on a pretty cool performance. As we leave tomorrow I think we can ll say we've gotten a good taste of not only life on Kadena, but the island of Okinawa as well. It is a place I would definitely recommend. Here are a few pictures from us all of dressed up in some of our cool clothes that we wore to the closing dinner last night. We looked like quite the team. Here is another with my sponsor Shelley and I. She was awesome. She gave me my first gold medal...:) It's a 'medal' hello kitty necklace that is also a notebook. I may wear it everywhere I go...

I also got to talk to my parents last night which was nice since I haven't had the chance to talk to them since I've been here. I can't wait to see them and the rest of my family and friends in Beijing.

I tried the fancy LZR suit in the water yesterday for the first time. It was fantastic. Really fantastic. I think part of it is mental after seeing how fast the Olympians went wearing the suit and just feeling fast before you get in the water. But whatever it is, it helps and I can't wait to wear it in my races.

The bus left this morning at 5am for the pool. It was an early morning just trying to get a swim in before we left. We took a last team picture before we left the pool this morning. I've never swam outside much but I really enjoyed it. Even this morning when it was still pitch black when we got in the pool.

The next time I'll write I'll be in Beijing.Once we get there hopefully I'll be able to sleep from all the excitement. At trials I barely slept a wink because of all the excitement.

Until next time I'm Beijing Bound. For real this time.

GO USA!

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Have fun!!! I love learning what you guys are doing!!! Enjoy!!
Love you and good luck!
Steph

inthegreenmachine said...

Good luck to you Melissa. I hope that you do well and certainly bring home the Gold. USA, USA, USA!!!

TKO said...

Mel - We've really been enjoying reading your posts!! It's been incredible to experience these moments. It all seems so surreal and to think you're not even at the cube yet!! Have a fun/safe flight and go USA!!! We love you, Katie, Travis, & Owen

Darlene Schwartz said...

Hey Melissa - You have made it to Beijing - how exciting for you! We are with you all the way. Good luck and above all, have fun and live for the moment. We will be following the games with excitement! With love, Darlene & Jim

Kendra said...

Good Luck! From Missouri!

Knock it out of Beijing!