Saturday, November 16, 2013

#thisisIMAZ


Ironman eve...this is crazy. When I got here 2 days ago my excitement was through the roof. Seeing the IM village, the finish line, seeing all the expo booths, the fit people, the friendly faces and hellos..it really hadn't sunk in, until today. Hellooo nerves.

This whole dream started on a New Years Eve almost 2 years go when I decided that in 2013, I wanted to be an Ironman. And tomorrow, that dream will be reality. I am #127. If you'd like, you can go to ironmanlive.com and you'll be able to track my progress.

Today I did my final workout, a 20m swim, 20m bike and 20m run. m= minutes, not miles. That would really be crazy. I racked my bike, I dropped off my transition bags, and it really sunk in. The enormity of this race, 140.6 long miles. 140.6! I need to say that number over and over to realize that's actually what I'll be doing. I feel like when I went to Iraq in 2004. You never think it's actually happening until you get there. And guess what, I'm here. And it's tomorrow. This is crazy.
The goal is the finish line. To be honest, I don't feel like I'm at my fittest, but hopefully it'll be enough to get me through.

These past few days have been pretty awesome. Along with Cigna and Dare2tri I am also representing Refuel Chocolate Milk and CAF out on the course. CAF has a tent at the expo and it's been a great meeting point for all of us. There are 5 of us challenged athletes that will be out on the course. Myself, BK's Karen Adyelott (Iron woman extraordinaire), Jean Draper, Nick Raumonda and WC athlete Rick James. For Jean, Nick and I, it's out first Ironman, and for all of us the goal is to be happy, to smile, enjoy ourselves and see that finish line.

And I might be pretty biased, but I think I've got the best cheering crew and support team on the course. I have Brian, Keri, Katz, MK, Dan, Elaine and the best surprise ever, my parents. Apparently everyone else was in on it, but what a great surprise when they showed up yesterday. There aren't many things better than seeing your parents 2 days before a journey of 140.6 miles. They will all be sporting their own Team Melissa shirts and no doubt, their cheers will get me through to the end. Even Jake will have his own, my mom is going to be an Ironman shirt..I truly believe I am the luckiest girl in the world. And a big thanks again to Cigna, Dare2tri, Refuel and CAF.

So, tomorrow is the day. Transition opens at 5am so no doubt I'll be up at 4 and knocking at the gate. I know that it's going to be tough, I know it will be a physical and a mental battle, but I know it will be one of the best days of my life. Tomorrow I will make my own history. It's no longer the road to IMAZ, this IS IMAZ, and ready or not, here we go.

Until next time, when I am part of the prestigious IM club,


Peace Out.







No comments: